Today I’m bringing you the books I read in August. August was a weird reading month for me; in past years, I’ve been able to finish 10+ books in August because it’s like the last final sprint before school starts back up, but I was in school during August, and then when I went home, I wasn’t in the mood to read tons and tons of books like I usually do.
I made some more progress with my summer reading list that I made at the beginning of the summer, though! Check out what I read:
1. Caraval by Stephanie Garber // I ate this one up! This magical realism/fantasy novel reminiscent of The Night Circus was fast-paced and really fun. It’s pretty heavy on the romance, but I enjoyed it. I can’t wait for the sequel! Look out for this one in January of 2017.
2. Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland // I was totally in the mood for an angsty YA contemporary and this one delivered exactly that. While I think Sutherland tried too hard to mimic John Green’s style and the characters were a little wonky, this one was just what I needed for a quick fix of YA.
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling // I finally finished up my audio re-read of this series and I am SO SAD. But it was just in time for the newly released Harry Potter book that came out on July 31st!
4. Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven // I never read Niven’s All the Bright Places, but I decided to pick this one up by her because the premise was pretty controversial (read the summary here!). Upon finishing it, I felt pretty conflicted. I think it’s an important read but also some parts of high school and being a teenager just wasn’t captured correctly.
5. This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills // Talk about being pleasantly surprised! I wasn’t expecting to like this one as much as I did. Mills has a way with creating really well-developed characters, especially Sloane. This girl has SASS, y’all! Overall super cute and I loved the exploration Mills does. Definitely look for this one in October!
6. Summer Days and Summer Nights edited by Stephanie Perkins // I’m so happy I was able to pick this one up before the summer ended! If you didn’t know, Stephanie Perkins is one of my favorite authors ever, and she also edited the YA winter romance anthology, My True Love Gave to Me. I liked a lot of the stories in this one, and the best part? The diversity of the romances!
7. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling and more // Really kind of disappointed about this one. I’m happy to be reading about the wizarding world again, but it just went in a direction that I didn’t like/expect – and it’s not because it was unexpected that I didn’t like it, I just didn’t think this story was even necessary.
8. Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy by Cassandra Clare and more // I had been meaning to read the novellas for a long time, so I’m actually kind of glad I waited for this bind up of all ten novellas to come out! These novellas were very cohesive and were great to read. Clare did a lot more exploration with side characters, which I love! And the appearance of some old characters made me all nostalgic again.
What did you read in August?