Overall Thoughts on the Series
I FINISHED A SERIES, first of all.Second of all, I honestly don’t know which series I like better, The Infernal Devices or The Mortal Instruments. I love both equally!What I loved so much about this series is the Victorian London setting and the evil villain with his evil plans. The problem builds with each book and by the end, you’re wondering how in the world in the Shadowhunters will make it out alive. It’s an entertaining new concept in which I thoroughly enjoyed.Another aspect that I liked in TID that I thought TMI didn’t focus too much on was the relationships between so many different people. I think Cassandra Clare did a fantastic job emphasizing what it really means to be parabatai, much better defined between Jem and Will as opposed to Alec and Jace.
I haven’t read City of Heavenly Fire yet, but I can’t even imagine a better series ender to TID than anything else. I am overall so, so satisfied with this series. THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING ME READ IT.
Clockwork Angel was definitely a slower read. I was still adapting to this new world of Shadowhunters, set waaay in the past. I was still hooked on Clary and Jace I think, which is why I didn’t enjoy this one as much. Tessa didn’t have the same artistic and unique quality that Clary has, and Tessa bored me a bit.As for Will and Jem, I totally was not rooting for Will in the beginning! He was kinda rude and DID remind of Jace (too much like Jace), so I gravitated towards Jem more. I really liked the characters in the Institute though, I loved seeing them being crafted and knowing them better as Shadowhunters in Victorian London.Alas, Clockwork Angel just didn’t have that SPARK that I know CC can do so well. It was still a good read though.
THIS ONE THOUGH. This one really won me over. I really freaking loved how Jem and Tessa’s relationship developed, and by the end of the book I was TEAM JESSA. My heart really went out for Jem’s as I learned more about his family history, his disease, and his kindness. UGH MY HEART. Not only with Tessa, but Jem’s care and love for his parabatai Will was also so endearing.The plot obviously progresses with the automatons, and the fighting scenes were so intense! There were so many twists, I could barely keep up. Clockwork Prince kept me on my toes for sure.
The beginning of this book was really slow for me, I have to admit. I was constantly thinking, “This better pick up, or I will be SO disappointed!” But honestly, by the midway point I was like, “YES. YES. YOU GO, SHADOWHUNTERS.” The story was so intense and I was rooting for the main characters like no other. So many “OH!” moments too, were my heart just went out for these characters.And yes, I have to admit, I was starting to adore Will. I just…. HE IS SO LOVELY, TOO. And things got SO STEAMY MMMM. GURL.I also really like how the Shadowhunters dealt with The Problem. CC dealt with it in a really concise manner, but also in a way that makes a lot of sense.The Epilogue. The Problem was solved by like 80% of the book, and I was honestly really confused what the rest of the book (20%) was going to be all about. BUT NOW. NOW I UNDERSTAND. There were so many things that needed to be resolved! AND THE FEELS. THE FEELS, MAN. SPOILERS: I cried so hard when Will died. Honestly, he grew on me so much by the end, I just couldn’t even handle it when he was on his deathbed, and Jem/Brother Zach guided him to Heaven. The words were blurring so fast on the page because of my tears! (Also, Charlotte witnessed Will’s death.. did he die of old age, or…?) And the ENDING. Holy. Freaking. *****. SO BEAUTIFUL. JUST SO BEAUTIFUL. I was Team Jem, so I was like YAAAS. THANK THE LORD. THANK. THE LORD. (and for humanity’s progression of technology and medicine, of course!)Honestly such an amazing ending to the series, I finished it and just lay on my bed, continuously crying and cuddling in my blanket. My sister asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner and I was all, “NO. LEAVE ME ALONE WITH ME FEELS. I JUST NEED TO BE ALONE RIGHT NOW.” So, yeah. I kind of really need CC to write about Tessa and Jem’s new adventures together. I needs it.